Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 148 - "Traveling, Swallowing Dramamine"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

As I think about this bottle, the label and contents within, the connections between filler and photograph are growing in number and detail. To start this post properly I should start with the history of this bottle. So it was a cold July afternoon in Canada...okay, we'll skip past the birth of the bottle, past the part where I went to the store to buy it, past the drinking of the soda and the cleaning of the bottle. One night I decided to cook pasta for three special ladies. Dinner was a hit and although we all ate healthily there was still a giant pot full of cooked spaghetti. Two days later, there was still a giant pot of cooked spaghetti. "Why not put it in a bottle?" suggested Stevie. Well, I had always imagined cooked spaghetti in a bottle, but not quite like this. I imagined cooking the spaghetti and filling the bottle within the same night. These noodles, however, were left to rot on the stove. They were a pile a wet, sticky, smelly wheat. I chose this bottle because the filler I had planned to put inside, the aforementioned rotting noodles, reminded me of hot sick and the label reminded me of those unfortunate people who become seasick on the open waters. I filled the bottle, gagging as the wet rancid slop burped its way into the bottle, and capped it shut. Before it could be photographed I started to rethink the filler. Seriously, just looking at the bottle made me ill. It was quickly dumped, re-cleaned, and placed to dry on the shelf.

So today, in a huge hurry as usual, I raided the pantry for filler. Spotting two cans of sliced green beans that I had stolen from some former roommate, I ran upstairs to find a bottle to suit. I saw this one and was reminded of how disgusting the noodles were and how gross the beans were probably going to be. Now that they are in there, the connections go deeper than that of disgusting, putrid visions.

So first there is the color connection. In the cartoons when someone is ill or nauseous, their faces turn green. Seasickness being a common cause for upset stomachs, I thought of these green-faced cartoon characters on long, bumpy, to-and-fro ship rides. In real life, these green beans are also green. Furthermore, the bottle used to be full of Green Apple soda. Visually the beans remind me of seaweed, especially those that are submerged in the water. When the bottle is tipped back and forth the remaining water washed over the filler like water over plants near the shore. If you try really hard, the beans also resemble little eels; mysterious, chartreuse creatures of the deep. I also think of long ship voyages, those that last months or years. I imagine all the canned foods aboard for nourishment. Canned vegetables; corn, beets, and green beans. All these things dealing with ships, boating, and water as the label implies.

"I've said what I said, and you know what I mean",
~Mitch~

2 comments:

  1. I think I am going to be sick...

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I see a sailboat, I think summer, sun, heat, and fun - not green. Aunt Kay

    ReplyDelete