Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Day 142 - "Poor gullible, Lisa. I'll keep my crappy sponges, thanks."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Similar to the disappointment Bart Simpson felt with his growing sponges, I am left wanting more from mine; unlike Bart, however, I didn't have to sell my soul for the money to buy them. Here's my reasoning; I figured each sponge would grow to roughly the size of a Taco Bell hot sauce packet. Since it only took 27 of those to fill I bottle (see Day 138), I figured that 30 growing sponges would fill the bottle to capacity. I imagined pouring the hot water into the bottle and shoving all 30 of the tiny encapsulated sponges under the surface. I imagined that they would grow to such extremes that the miniature monster sponges would be elbowing each other against the glass like enraged hockey players. Unfortunately the results were less spectacular.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sorry I chose this filler and am, in a way, happy with the number of monsters within. If it were too full their shapes would be indistinguishable and the bottle would just be a colorful, soggy mess.

The F.T.L.C., that's "Filler-To-Label-Connection" to the layman, is rooted in childhood memories. For me, I think of all those summer days in the driveway with a box of sidewalk chalk. I think of the sponges they used to package with the chalk that could be used as an "eraser" when wetted. I imagine clearing the chalk off the driveway with the hose and am reminded of the scene from the Simpsons where Bart is using his hose to make his Tyrannosaurus Rex sponge grow in his driveway; an act that would result in the sponge being washed down the sewer. Stevie thinks of Easter and how in her basket she always got chalk and these growing sponges. That's the beauty of the F.T.L.C., we all have our own.

Sticking with the Simpsons theme...

Longest...title...EVER,
~Mitch~

P.S. - Pic extravaganza!

The setup. One Jones bottle, thirty "Grow Capsules"...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A preview of the shapes to come...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I imagined these as pills and thought about what would happen if one were ingested...a thought that I will leave to the reader to think of...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And away we go...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Starting to dissolve; check the gooey, dissolving plastic sinking downward...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

A hand emerges from one of the eggs. Very "Jurassic Park"...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Soaking it up...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This blue guy was hanging out perfectly in the rear of the bottle...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And this yellow dude was chillin' on the bottom,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And, finally, a green goblin posing front and center in the neck of the bottle...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. That was awsome and kind of cute with the little "buddies" looking out the bottle. Aunt Kay

    ReplyDelete