Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 137 - Color Me Wonderful!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It is always hard for me to claim that a bottle is my favorite. With so many categories to consider - best looking, most fun to fill, most meaningful, etc. - it is hard to label one bottle the best. Especially after 137 days of bottles, a lot needs to be considered. But this bottle has a little of everything. Visually it is stunning, in real life there is so much to look at and subtle things to observe. The filling process was fun too; peeling the crayons, observing them melt, choosing which colors to put in the bottle next, and where to put them. Any bottle I have to work for usually comes out looking good, especially when there is a puzzle to solve. How does one put peanut butter in a bottle? How should we melt the crayons? The filling and melting process was fun, but also meaningful. I've always known that my dad was into my project; I knew he followed my blog and is supportive of me stealing food from the pantry. He is always giving suggestions about how to fill bottles and has thought of some unique filler ideas. As much as I knew he was interested in Jones-a-Day, today I realized that he may actually be excited about the project. From the minute I asked him how he would melt the crayons he lit up with ideas. Setting the thermometer, melting the crayons, deciding what colors to put in. The fantastic results are due to him.

In today's bottle are melted Crayola Crayons of various colors. I stayed away from the earthier colors, but a few tans made their way in. The label shows a tree and an older brick building. The side of the building reminded me of the elementary school I attended as a child; Orchard View Elementary. I thought about all the coloring I had done between kindergarten and fourth grade. I thought about art class and crayons. I thought about how all those crayons are long gone; broken and melted somewhere.

The bottle reminds me of the time we went on a family road trip and a box of crayons was left in the car while we enjoyed the day at an amusement park. When we returned, the box had melted to form one giant crayon.

These memories makes this bottle even more special,
~Mitch~

P.S. - OH NO! Get out of that oven, Jones!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This bottle was so cool, I had to show it from more than one angle, so here's five different, more detailed ones for you to enjoy...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

  1. I can see your Dad getting excited and really getting into the project. He loves to try to solve problems and come up with ideas. He will not move you into a new place until he measures, sketches, and plans how to position the furniture. That's his thing. The colors are awesome in that bottle. Aunt Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitch - Thanks for the credits
    Carole - Thanks for the comments

    This one reminds me of one of those pinch bottles that grandma has where the multi-colored candle wax has dripped down. Except the wax is now on the INSIDE of the bottle. Very cool bottle

    ReplyDelete